City activities for Spring Break Week
Published Friday, March 23, 2012 4:39PM CST
The City of Winnipeg is offering plenty of exciting Spring Break activities for families! City pools and recreation centres will be open for fitness fun and the Winnipeg Public Library will host over 40 Spring Break programs suitable for children, teens, and families.
Spring Break Activities at the Library
With more than 40 programs offered at Winnipeg Public Libraries, there is something for everyone. Spring Break sessions include:
- Collage Workshops
- Sock Puppets
- Cute Dolls Workshop
- Wii All Play! Gaming Tournament
- Castle of Mystery Dungeons and Dragons Adventure
- Fiddlers on the Loose at the Library! - with the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra
- Origami Workshop with Bob Frayer
- “Building Characters” A Creative Writing Workshop with Karin Adams
- Buffalo Tales with Ted Longbottom
- Mago the Magician
- Mad Science - Lights... Colour...Action!
For a complete list of Spring Break activities at the Winnipeg Public Library, pick up a copy of @ The Library or go to Winnipeg.ca/library or call 204-986-6488. All programs are free. Sign up by contacting the host branch. Spring Break Week is generously supported in part by Friends of the Winnipeg Public Library.
City Pools and Recreation Centres
Splash and play through an afternoon or evening with family and friends at one of the many City of Winnipeg indoor pools and Recreation Centres.
The 189’ indoor water slide at Elmwood Kildonans Pool is open every afternoon for extra Spring Break fun!
For more information on indoor swimming pools and recreation centres, visit http://www.winnipeg.ca/ or call 311.
Earth Day Art Activity
During the week of Spring Break, children are invited to visit one of five sites throughout the City to participate in a special Earth Day Art Activity. Participants will make a quilt-like square using natural, sustainable and some recycled materials. The theme of the squares will be related to the topics of Earth, Ecology, Nature, Home and Sustainability.
After the activity, all of these squares will be joined together to create a collective image of an environmental wish-list for the future. Watch for exhibit details as we get closer to Earth Day! This activity will encourage children to share their visions of the present and their hopes for the future, talk and imagine, and engage in creative thinking. Dates and times are as follows:
- Monday, March 26, 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – Turtle Island Neighbourhood Centre, 510 King Street
- Tuesday, March 27, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – Westdale Community Centre, 550 Dale Boulevard
- Wednesday, March 28, 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – Magnus Eliason Recreation Centre, 430 Langside Street
- Thursday, March 29, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Norberry-Glenlee Community Centre, 176 Worthington Avenue
- Saturday, March 31, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – East End Cultural Centre, 575 Larsen Avenue
This art activity is a collaboration with the Winnipeg Arts Council and part of the City of Winnipeg’s celebration of Earth Day. Earth Day happens every year on April 22.
Meet a group of amazing students at Yale Secondary School who are preparing to go to Ethiopia for Spring Break to work on clean-water wells.