Dog dead, four people taken to hospital after double house fire
Published Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:24PM CST
Last Updated Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:26PM CST
A family dog died and four people were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after two houses burned on Union Avenue on Saturday in Winnipeg.
Fire officials said the fire started at 319 Union Ave. and quickly spread to neighbouring 317 Union Ave.
Jerik Torres said his parents have lived at 319 Union Ave. for 13 years.
"It's devastating," he said. "Since we got here from the Philippines we've been here and seeing it like this, it's heartbreaking."
He said his sister-in-law, her child, and Torres' little brother, along with the family's dog, were inside the house at the time of the fire.
Torres' family members escaped, but the dog was trapped inside and succumbed to its injuries.
A fire official said the blaze was fully involved when fire crews arrived.
Fire crews said the construction of the homes made the fires tough to put out. The fire got behind the drywall in the attic, making it hard to get to.
The cause of the blaze and damage estimates are still being determined.
A family dog died and four people were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after two houses burned on Union Avenue on Saturday.