Downed hydro line cuts power, sparks grass fire
Crews were called to the Symington Yards for a pole fire early Tuesday.
Published Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:34AM CST
Last Updated Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:36AM CST
Manitoba Hydro worked to restore power Tuesday morning to a handful of people living and working around the Symington Yards, after a pole fire caused several lines to collapse.
Hydro officials said around 4 a.m. the top of a pole that was on fire sheared off, dropping a transformer and a number of lines to the ground near Plessis Road and Fermor Avenue.
They said power is being rerouted and only a few customers may be experiencing problems.
Springfield fire officials say RCMP noticed the fire as they were headed to another call.
They said the downed lines and transformer started a grass fire, which they've since put out.
It’s not yet known what sparked the initial pole fire.