Lake St. Martin students still waiting for classes to commence
Published Monday, November 19, 2012 1:36PM CST
Last Updated Monday, November 19, 2012 3:00PM CST
There has been yet another delay in getting all of the students who were displaced from Lake St. Martin flooding into the same school.
Almost 70 children were displaced by flooding in the area in 2011. They were supposed to begin classes at a new school on Ness Avenue in Winnipeg Monday.
But an issue with a permit for the space meant the school would have to delay opening until Tuesday at the earliest.
The 68 displaced children were attending another junior high school location until about two weeks ago, when their space failed a city inspection.
Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said it’s important the children have a space to call their own.
“They’re amongst their peer groups, students and teachers they know,” said Nepinak. “It’s very important we don’t disrupt that considering the families’ lives have been disrupted time and again because of the flooding situation.”
Nepinak said so far the students have missed four days of school, and there are plans for those days to be made up.