RCMP say missing Saskatchewan girl who was subject of Amber Alert is safe
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:36AM CST
Last Updated Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:11PM CST
MAPLE CREEK, Sask. -- Saskatchewan RCMP say a missing, pregnant teenager who was the subject of an Amber Alert is safe.
RCMP said in a news release on Thursday evening that the girl and her 16-year-old boyfriend were brought by members of his family to a rural detachment in Swift Current, Sask., without incident.
The 14-year old girl is eight months pregnant.
Mounties said the alert was originally issued because of allegations the girl had been forcibly taken from her family's home in Maple Creek, Sask., on Wednesday night.
However, the boy's mother says it was all a misunderstanding.
The Youth Criminal Justice Act bans identification of a youth suspect.
The boy and girl in this case had been previously identified in news reports after police issued the alert seeking the girl's safe return.
Her identity is also protected under the act unless parents give consent to her being named.
The Canadian Press is not naming the pair now that they have been found.
The alert was issued after the girl's family reported a pair of intruders wearing ski masks burst into their home demanding the girl pack some clothes and leave with them.
They told police that one of the culprits, who was wielding a small wooden bat, walked through the home and found the girl in a room. "Get your stuff. Make it quick," he told her.
Family said he then pushed the girl out the door, but didn't threaten anyone. The other intruder was also holding some sort of weapon but left without saying a word.
An older sister called police. She said she recognized the voice of the suspect as her sister's boyfriend.
The boy's family, however, said the whole thing was a misunderstanding. They said their son loved the girl and never intended to harm her.
The girl's mother said her daughter had been in a relationship with the boy for about a year. The girl got pregnant when she was 13.
The mother alleged the boy was verbally abusive and possessive. He and his mother wanted the girl to live with them and the two families argued about it.
The girl had been staying with her boyfriend but her mother said she convinced her to return home Monday following a medical appointment in Medicine Hat, Alta. She then persuaded the girl to break up with her boyfriend.
"She agreed, but she said, 'I'm scared of him Mom. He's always yelling at me."'
A few hours before the girl was allegedly taken, messages were posted on a Facebook page belonging to girl with the same name and photo. The girl changed her status to single and said she was looking for someone to love her.
Someone using the boyfriend's name replied that he loved her, but was being driven insane by her family.
The girl's mother said she didn't think the boyfriend would have hurt her daughter because she's carrying his child. But she was worried he would resort to violence over the thought of losing her.
She also worried the stress of the situation would cause the teen to go into early labour. Her baby boy is due in about six weeks, but a doctor indicated the baby could come at any time. Family thought she had a contraction before she left the home Wednesday night.
The Amber Alert was issued as southern Saskatchewan braced for a second blast of winter this week. Environment Canada issued a blizzard warning Thursday for a region stretching from the Alberta boundary to Fort Qu'appelle.