Skip to main content

Fire at Winnipeg home caused by space heater

(File image.) (File image.)

A Wednesday evening fire at a Winnipeg home was caused by a space heater, according to the City of Winnipeg.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) was called to the fire at a two-storey house on Morning Glory Crescent just after 7 p.m.

When firefighters got to the scene, they found heavy smoke coming from the house and launched an interior attack. To help to extinguish the flames, crews used an aerosol device that reduces temperatures by generating a mist that expands to flood the space.

Crews had the fire under control by 7:47 p.m.

Everyone inside the home got out safely before crews arrived. Paramedics assessed one person at the scene; however, they did not need to be taken to the hospital.

There are no damage estimates at this time, but preliminary observations show the fire was accidentally caused by the unsafe use of a portable space heater.

With temperatures starting to cool down, the city reminds residents to be careful when using a space heater and to follow these tips:

  • Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing lab;
  • Keep the heater at least one metre away from anything that can burn;
  • Opt for a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection;
  • Put the heater on a solid, flat surface;
  • Ensure your heater has an auto shut-off that turns it off if it tips over;
  • Keep the heater away from foot traffic;
  • Keep kids away from the heater;
  • Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Don’t use an extension cord; and
  • Turn off and unplug the heater when you leave the room or go to bed. Top Stories


OPINION Advice on dealing with 'quiet hiring' in the workplace

In a column for, personal finance writer Christopher Liew tackles 'quiet hiring' -- a term referring to companies that quietly hire from their own talent pool rather than look elsewhere -- and outlines some tips for employees on how to take advantage of the practice.

These are the 5 headlines you should read this morning

Forty-one workers are rescued from a collapsed tunnel in India, a Liberal MP apologizes for linking the Conservative leader to shootings in Winnipeg and a town's residents will vote on Pride crosswalks. Here's what you need to know to start your day.

Stay Connected