One of the men injured in a double-shooting on Maryland Street Saturday is now dead.

Two men were gunned down on Maryland near Wellington Avenue just before 12:30 a.m., in the second double-shooting in Winnipeg in less than a week.

Officers rushed to the 600 block of Maryland at Wellington Avenue to find a man shot in the abdomen.

Officers began searching the area and found another man on McGee Street who had been shot, police said.

Both men were rushed to hospital in critical condition.

Saturday evening 24-year-old Jorden Dennis Houle died in hospital.

The 19-year-old man he was with remains in hospital but has since been upgraded to stable condition.

Neighbours said 19-year-old who was shot on Maryland stumbled to his home on McGee.

A woman named Katrina, who lived in the apartment building he eventually stopped at, acted quickly to try and help the man.

Katrina said she was sewing in her living room when she heard pops and then a loud thump against her window.

“I got up, went to the door, opened it, and I saw someone on my front step bleeding,” she said.

There she found a man shot in the stomach and possibly, she said, in the leg. She called the police and ran to her neighbours for help.

“(I) did what I could to help and prevent him from getting any worse,” she said. “There was a lot of blood.”

She and her neighbour applied pressure to the man’s wounds and tried to keep him conscious by asking him different questions.

Katrina said the man first said his name was Ken, then Chad, and he seemed to have no idea what had happened to him.

After police and emergency services arrived, both men were rushed to hospital, one in critical condition and the other in serious condition.

The man who was taken in serious condition has since been upgraded to stable, police said. The other remains in critical condition in hospital.

Officials said if it wasn’t for Katrina’s quick action, the man may not have made it out alive.

Police are now investigating the shootings and are remaining tightlipped about the incident. Const. Jason Micalyshen confirmed that the two men were shot in a related incident.

“These injuries to these two individuals do appear to be related,” said Micalyshen.

Police blocked off Maryland Street between Sargent Avenue and Wellington immediately after the incident, as well as McGee Street between Sargent and Wellington to investigate.

Officers were seen speaking to residents in the area and collecting evidence at the scene Saturday afternoon.

The road closures remained in effect Saturday evening.

The major crimes unit was investigating the shooting but has handed over the investigation to the homicide unit. Police are asking anyone with information to contact investigators at 204-986-7983 or Crime Stoppers at 204 786-8477.

The incident comes on the heels of a double-shooting inside a Salisbury House on Pembina Highway at Stafford Street.

On Thursday, a man walked into the restaurant and opened fire. Jeffrey Lau, 23, was killed.

Early reports linked the shooting to Winnipeg's drug trade, but Lau's family said the gunman targeted the wrong person.

Police haven’t said if the two double-shootings are related to each other. They haven’t made any arrests in either case and are still looking for suspects.