It's been nearly four years since her children went missing, and now Emily Cablek is closer than ever to having them home.

CTV News has learned two Winnipeg children who went missing in 2008 have been found in Mexico.

Dominic and Abby Maryk were abducted by their father Kevin Maryk in August 2008. Dominic was seven years old and Abby was five when their father Kevin never returned them home after a parental visit.

Cablek, has repeatedly appealed to the public for help finding her children over the past four years, creating a YouTube video, working with missing children agencies and appearing on CTV News.

Cablek spoke to CTV News less than five months ago and said she would never give up hope her children would one day be found.

"They are always in my heart. I am always looking for them. I will never stop looking for them," she said.

On Thursday that tenacity finally paid off. Dominic and Abby were found in Guadalajara, Mexico. Someone watching Cablek's story on Mexican TV recognized the children.

"He saw them and said, ‘Wow! I know those kids. They are my neighbours.' He reported them to the army, and no one would listen to him," said Wilhelm von Mayer, a private investigator.

But Mayer, a private investigator in Louisiana, did. Mayer and the Find Foundation in Mexico followed up on the tip. The home where the children were living was raided.

"The children were under lock – heavy locks – the entire day. They didn't go to school. They didn't talk to anybody," said Mayer during a phone interview from Louisiana.

CTV News has learned the children are now on their way home and soon to be reunited with their mother.

When they arrive, not only will their mother and family be waiting for them – but also a Christmas tree full of presents. Their grandmother refused to take her Christmas tree down after the children disappeared. Every year she wrapped more presents and left them under the tree, hoping the children would someday be home to open them.

Winnipeg police would not confirm the children had been found, only saying there had been a significant development in the case on Friday.

-- with a report from CTV's Stacey Ashley