Winnipeg police have identified two men killed in a shooting at a restaurant early Wednesday in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers responded to a report of shots fired at Johnny G’s on Main Street at around 1:30 a.m. where two men were located at the restaurant suffering from serious gunshot wounds.

Anthony Brian Cromastey, 30, and Rodney Albert Kirton, 25, were taken to hospital in serious condition. Both men died from their injuries.

Investigators have determined the men were killed as a result of shooting each other.

Police said two handguns were recovered.

Officers said Kirton was still alive directly after the shooting when he was allegedly assaulted by a third man.

Braedon Lee Gordon, 18, has been charged with assault causing bodily harm.

“This is a gang-related incident,” said Const. Rob Carver. “My understanding is they’re all part of the same gang.”

Officers wouldn’t comment on which gang was involved.

‘You may be at the wrong place at the wrong time’: Judge warned Kirton about ‘gang life’ during 2014 sentencing for drug trafficking

Court records show Kirton has two previous drug-related convictions and was known by police five years ago as a Mad Cow gang member.

Kirton pleaded guilty to possession for the purpose of trafficking on Mar. 18, 2014 when he was 21 and received a 20-month sentence and a lifetime weapons prohibition.

During sentencing, court heard Kirton was wanted on outstanding warrants when police located him on Sep. 28, 2014 on Furby Street in a taxi with two other men.

“The officers observed what they believed to be a hand-to-hand drug transaction between Mr. Kirton and an unknown male,” federal prosecutor Stacy Cawley told court. “Upon the arrest, he’s searched and they seize from him $2400 in Canadian currency – this was located in his wallet in his front pant pocket – a white iPhone, a black Samsung cell phone and in further search of the taxi cab they locate 23 rocks of crack cocaine under the passenger-side seat.”

Kirton was questioned during sentencing about gang involvement by Judge Kelly Moar.

“How are you going to get out of this gang activity? It’s not as easy as just ripping up a membership card. You know that,” Moar said during sentencing. “What makes you think you’re going to get out of it?”

Kirton replied: “I haven’t really put much thought into it.”

“You know as long as you continue with this lifestyle you gotta get used to jail then, because that’s eventually what you’re going to do,” said Moar. “You might get out, you might stay out for a few months but you’ll get involved with some guys.”

“You may not actually even do anything but at the end of the day you may be at the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Moar.

Kirton found himself back in court for another drug trafficking matter on Jul. 31, 2015 when he was sentenced to three years in custody and given a second mandatory lifetime weapons prohibition after pleading guilty to possession for the purpose of trafficking.

Court heard officers searched a home on Agnes Street on May 1, 2015 and located the accused who was with his 15-month-old child in the residence. Police also found 20.6 grams of crack cocaine and $6500 in Canadian currency.

Kirton’s defence lawyer told court Kirton felt remorseful for what happened.

“He grew up in an environment where drugs and gang is basically a part of daily life,” his lawyer told court. “He advised me he left the gang or never was in fact a full-fledged member, some affiliation perhaps, but not really into being a full-patch member.”

Cromastey was also known to police.

Court records indicate Cromastey was convicted in July 2013 and sentenced to 10 days in custody for failing to comply with the conditions of recognizance.

Third person hurt in shooting

During the shooting Wednesday, a restaurant employee suffered a non-life threatening injury during the incident. 

 Police said she was hit by a bullet which had ricocheted.

The incident marks the fourth and fifth homicides in Winnipeg in 2019.

Four out of the five homicides have involved a gun.