Two RCMP officers convicted of assault no longer on desk duty
Published Monday, December 12, 2011 4:32PM CST
RCMP say the two officers convicted for a 2008 assault have been given letters informing them that they are no longer on desk duty and should stay home.
Cpl. Jeffrey Thomas Moyse and Const. Trevor Kyle Ens are now suspended with pay pending the appeal process, say RCMP.
Last week, Moyse was given a four-month jail sentence in Winnipeg.
Moyse and Ens were charged with assault for a November 2008 incident while working for Powerview RCMP.
They were later found guilty in court in September 2011.
While Moyse was given jail time, the judge gave Ens a four-month conditional sentence Wednesday, which includes house arrest.
Moyse and Ens were convicted after a handcuffed prisoner was beaten outside a Traverse Bay bar in 2008.
Justice Perry Schulman told the court Moyse was the one who beat the prisoner.
"It would be inappropriate to grant a discharge because it is contrary to the public interest. Only a sentence of imprisonment will satisfy the goals of sentence," said Schulman.
He said he spared Ens from jail time because he did not strike the victim.
"His conduct was so out of character for him, it can only be explained as paramilitary peer pressure," said Schulman.
Last week, RCMP Assistant Commissioner Bill Robinson told CTV News in a statement, "I can tell you that Cpl. Jeffrey Moyse and Cst. Trevor Ens remain non-operational and have no interaction with the public. This is an interim measure pending the outcome of the ongoing internal process governed by the RCMP Act."
He said he couldn't comment further on the specifics of the court decision as it may be subject to an appeal.