Vigil to mark one year since teen killed in home invasion
In a phone call with CTV News, the teenager’s aunt said he loved video games, excelled in school and was determined to carry on his family’s legacy as a baker after graduating this year. (Photo provided by Adao's family)
WINNIPEG -- A vigil is set to be held on Tuesday evening to remember a teenage boy who died in a home invasion one year ago.
Jaime Adao, 17, was killed on March 3, 2019. At the time he was home alone with his grandmother when, police say, an attacker broke into the home on McGee Street and assaulted the high school senior with a weapon. The teen was taken to hospital where he later died from his injuries.
Adao was a student at Tec Voc High School, who was set to graduate last year.
Roxanne Roy, Adao’s aunt, described her nephew as a star student.
“He was very determined,” she told CTV Winnipeg last year. “He was actually talking about his graduation, what he would wear to his graduation because he was supposed to graduate this year.”
The teen’s parents moved from the Philippines to Manitoba through the provincial nominee program and opened two successful bakeries. Roy said Adao’s parents passed on their love for baking to their son.
“He wanted to do something that could keep his family’s legacy so he wanted to do baking,” she said. “He loves to bake.”
In June, Adao’s parents received an honorary diploma from Booth University College’s faculty of business and administrative studies in memory of the teen.
Tuesday’s vigil is being put on by 204 Neighbourhood Watch. The founder of the watch group, Leila Castro, said it begins at 6:30 p.m. at 899 Bannatyne Avenue and the group will then walk to the home where the incident happened.
Attendees are asked to bring flowers and candles.
"We consider this as a time again to gather together and look what has been happening and you know, to check on one another," said Castro.
Castro said she didn't know Jaime personally, but she does know his parents. She said having this happen to such kind and generous people is very tragic.
"It's made them look back as to why they are here in Winnipeg," she said. "The very reason why they're here is the reason why the majority of Filipino immigrants are also here, and that's to provide a better future for their children, providing a better place for them to continue their life. But that very reason why they're here is gone."
CHARGES LAID IN THE TEEN’S DEATH
At the time of Adao’s attack, police shot suspect Ronald Bruce Chubb, 29, who survived and was charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder.
Investigators believe a second man was inside the home during the homicide.
Winnipeg’s Geordie Delmar James, 34, was arrested while in custody at the Headingley Correctional Centre. He was charged with manslaughter.
None of the charges have been tested in court.
- With files from CTV’s Jackie Dunham and Jeremie Charron.