It was a frightening night for people living in West St. Paul Tuesday evening.

Residents said they heard explosions as a neighbour's workshop caught fire and burned to the ground.

The fire started around 5 p.m. in a mechanic's workshop behind a home on Hiawatha Avenue, just off Main Street.

A neighbour says two men were working inside when something sparked a fire.

The men couldn't extinguish the flames, so they ran outside just in time.

"Not even 10 seconds later, it went kaboom. Lucky, lucky they got out of there when they did, or it didn't explode quicker," said Zane Dolynchuk

Dolynchuk believes a gas tank exploded, though investigators have yet to confirm what happened.

The workshop appears to be a total loss.