Skip to main content

Winnipeg firefighters battle 4 blazes in 12 hours

Residents are displaced after an afternoon fire.  (File image) Residents are displaced after an afternoon fire. (File image)

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews were busy this weekend, battling four blazes in just over 12 hours Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Flames first broke out in a single-family bungalow on Queensway Crescent. Crews responded to a monitored fire alarm around 8:14 p.m. Saturday, and when they arrived, they found smoke coming from the house.

The building’s occupants were able to evacuate before firefighters got to the scene. No injuries were reported, however, a dog was rescued from the home and treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire was declared under control shortly before 9 p.m.

Just before 8:30 p.m., WFPS responded to reports of a blaze at a commercial property on Higgins Avenue.

They fought the fire on the building’s exterior and prevented it from extending to the structure. It was declared under control within 20 minutes and no injuries were reported.

Hours later, just before 6 a.m. Sunday, a garage fire broke out in the 700 block of McMillan Avenue.

When crews arrived, they discovered a “well-involved” fire, with heavy smoke and flames coming from the building.

No injuries were reported and the blaze was under control by 6:15 a.m.

At 8:24 a.m., just over 12 hours after the first fire, another blaze broke out in a two-storey, multi-family building on Battery Street.

The fire was quickly knocked down and no injuries were reported.

All four fires are under investigation and damage estimates aren’t available at this time. Top Stories

Video shows B.C. grizzly basking in clawfoot tub

A donated clawfoot bathtub has become the preferred lounging spot for a pair of B.C. grizzly bears, who have been taking turns relaxing and reclining in it – with minimal sibling squabbling – for the past year.

Biden tests positive for COVID, will self-isolate in Delaware

U.S. President Joe Biden, under pressure from fellow Democrats to drop his re-election campaign, tested positive for COVID-19 while visiting Las Vegas on Wednesday and is self-isolating after experiencing mild symptoms, the White House said.

Stay Connected