Rally calls for inquiry into issue of missing, murdered women
Published Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:52AM CST
Last Updated Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:07PM CST
Dozens of people marched through downtown Winnipeg Wednesday as part of a rally calling for an inquiry into the issue of missing and murdered aboriginal women in Manitoba.
The march started at The Forks and went to the corner of Portage and Main. About 200 people participated.
The rally was held following the arrest of a suspected serial killer in June.
Last month, Shawn Lamb was charged for the deaths of Carolyn Sinclair, Tanya Nepinak and Lorna Blacksmith. Manitoba's justice minister said it wasn't the time to politicize the tragedies.
On Wednesday, Vic Toews, federal public safety minister, said he wouldn't base a national inquiry on one case.
Now, Manitoba chiefs are planning to approach the United Nations.
"What the United Nations will do is pressure Canada to put an end to this. This is what we are calling for - an end to violence," said David Harper, MKO grand chief.
Susan Caribou, the aunt of murder victim Tanya Nepinak. was at the rally.
She said her priority is helping find Tanya’s body.
“I just want to find my niece so we can have a funeral,” said Caribou.
She said Tanya’s sister spoke to Lamb in jail and that information was shared on where the body might be.
To date, however, police and others continue to search to find Tanya’s body. She went missing in September 2011.
“We will put the puzzle together ourselves,” said Caribou.
- with a report from CTV's Stacey Ashley
Dozens of people participated on July 11, 2012 in a march and rally in Winnipeg, calling for an inquiry into the issue of missing and murdered women.