'We will take action': Manitoba not ruling out military help as emergency rooms overflow
The Manitoba Government could turn to the military for help as it struggles with staffing shortages, overcrowding, and in some cases, temporary closures of emergency rooms.
A lack of staff is creating a bottleneck in the healthcare system. It's a problem so severe that Premier Heather Stefanson isn't ruling out asking for military assistance.
"We will continue to assess the situation through [Emergency Management Office], and if it's necessary, we will take action," Stefanson said at a news conference Tuesday.
The Manitoba Nurses' Union said the current situation inside emergency rooms is fuelling burnout and driving nurses to leave their jobs. It said in some cases, patients are being put in break rooms and hallways to help clear the emergency room.
"We spend all day every day apologizing," said Darlene Jackson, the union's president. "Apologizing to patients because we haven't had time to get to them as quickly as they deserve because when you add more patients, they are not adding more nurses."
According to Jackson, there are about 2,500 vacancies in Manitoba affecting all corners of the province.
On Friday, Pine Falls Health Complex was forced to temporarily close its emergency department due to a lack of staff.
Health Minister Audrey Gordon said fixing the issue is a top priority.
"We are committed to working with those communities to get those emergency departments reopen, to staffing them," said Gordon.
She said the province is working to acquire, train and retain more nurses, and noted the province is actively meeting with frontline health leaders to come up with more solutions.
"We know that the system is under incredible pressures right now, and we are all around a table of solutions talking about how we can relieve those pressures," she said.
In a statement to CTV News, Shared Health said current wait times are a concern to everyone in the healthcare system.
It noted patients requiring urgent care continue to be seen quickly, and all patients are triaged upon arrival.
The health provider said ambulances are taking lower-acuity patients to urgent care centres instead of emergency rooms and are implementing a physician-in-triage model of care to help alleviate the strain.
As these temporary fixes work to lessen the burden, the premier says the province is watching to see if more help is needed.
"It's accessed on a day-by-day, an hour-by-hour basis throughout our entire system. We will continue to work closely with Shared Health to make sure we overcome some of those challenges," Stefanson said.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Brown campaign accuses Conservative party of acting in favour of Poilievre after disqualification from leadership race
Patrick Brown has been disqualified from the federal Conservative leadership race, after ballots have already begun to be mailed out, and his campaign is fighting back against what it calls anonymous allegations.

Air Canada, Pearson again rank No. 1 in delays worldwide; Montreal check-in freezes
Air Canada and Toronto's Pearson airport again claimed the top spots for flight delays on Tuesday, marking at least four days in a row where the country's biggest airline has placed No. 1 of any large carrier worldwide.
'Most stressful experience': Express Entry draws resume, but long waits take toll
Canada's immigration department is restarting all Express Entry draws for immigration applications Wednesday, after pausing the program 18 months ago during the pandemic.
Emergency room delays to continue for 'quite some time,' doctor warns
An emergency room physician is urging governments to address the country’s shortfall of health-care workers in light of the recent temporary shutdowns of emergency departments and the staffing downsizing at others.
Woman who was set on fire on Toronto bus has died, police confirm
A woman who was set on fire while on a Toronto bus in a random attack last month has died, police say.
Amanda Todd case: 'Pornographic' Facebook image reported to police, high school friend testifies
A high school friend of B.C. teen Amanda Todd has testified he took action when he saw what he described as a 'pornographic' picture of her on Facebook in November 2011.
Boy, 2, orphaned after both parents killed in Fourth of July parade shooting
Kevin McCarthy, 37, and Irina McCarthy, 35, the parents of a two-year-old boy, were among seven people killed in the Chicago-area mass shooting on July 4.
'We're all really shaken up': Father recounts reuniting with missing daughter as U.S. man is charged
The father of the Edmonton girl who was missing for nine days said he was getting ready to post another update on Facebook last Saturday when police knocked on his door.
Religious group members charged over alleged murder of 8-year-old girl in Australia
Australian authorities have charged 12 members of a religious group with the alleged murder of an 8-year-old girl, police said in a statement Tuesday.