Red River is receding, more than 2,000 evacuees still displaced by Manitoba flood
While the Red River is starting to recede in southern Manitoba, flood waters linger in communities and more than 2,000 people are still displaced.
Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson, along with other officials with the province, took an aerial tour Sunday to view the impact the flooding has had on communities from a birds' eye view.
"I think what we can see certainly is that the river is starting to recede down in the Emerson area and I think we are looking at cresting in St. Adolph today," Stefanson told reporters after her flight.
The province confirmed the Red River peaked at Ste. Agathe, St. Adolphe and the Red River Floodway inlet on May 13. While it is stable or declining upstream of Winnipeg, the river is still expected to remain high likely into June.
However, the province said flooding continues in parts of the Interlake, Red River Valley and central and southern Manitoba. The flood waters have washed out many roads in the Parkland region.
Wab Kinew, leader of Manitoba's opposition party, was invited on the flight and said his thoughts and support are with those suffering from the flood.
"We saw homes, we saw communities impacted. We've seen the communities that have been evacuated in some cases, others that look like islands in the midst of a lake that normally would be the Red River," Kinew said.
Stefanson said the ring dikes preventing flooding in communities, however she said there is a lot of water covering farmlands and everything else in the southern Manitoba.
MORE THAN 2,000 EVACUEES REMAIN DISPLACED, HOMES DAMAGED
Johanu Botha, the head of Manitoba’s Emergency Management Organization, said there are currently 446 people evacuated from municipalities and just under 2,000 people evacuated from First Nations. The province said as of Sunday, 33 states of local emergency have been declared in Manitoba communities.
Stefanson said there will be more discussions with respect to the challenges the farmers and those displaced by floods will now face.
Michael Mourant lives just south of Winnipeg in the RM of Richot, where water from the neighbouring field has been covering the driveway to his home for several weeks.
"We use the tractor to get in and out, so we don't have to wear rubber boots because unless you wear hip waders, then you'll get water in your boots," he said.
Mourant's home has been in the family for decades, meaning he's experienced many floods, including the historic one in 1997. He's since made improvements to his property, like building a concrete wall to block water.
"We did the preparation hoping we wouldn't have to use it," said Mourant, who also has a pile of sand and bags ready to go if needed. Mourant said the whole situation can be quite stressful.
"If you're not living here watching it, you can have nightmares at night like my father does. He calls me and checks in every morning."
Mourant said heavy winds earlier in the week caused foot swells from the neighbouring field.
So far, the only serious damage to the property is the driveway. Mourant will only know the extent of the erosion when the water recedes.
"I've been thinking the crest is gone, it's going to start going down, but it hasn't. It's slowly going up, building, I imagine or hopefully levelling off right about now.
PROVINCE LOOKS TO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR HELP IN PEGUIS FIRST NATION
Stefanson said waters are also starting to drop in Peguis First Nation – where flood waters forced more than 1,500 people from their homes in Manitoba’s largest First Nation community.
Peguis First Nation Chief Glenn Hudson has previously called for long-term infrastructure to help protect from future flooding the community. When asked if there will be any flood protection improvements for Peguis First Nation, Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Doyle Piwniuk said there needs to be federal support.
"We are going to have to work with our federal counterparts, making sure that they lead on opportunities to look at what we can do – because we have to look at the whole region when it comes to the Peguis region," Piwniuk said.
He said the province's recently announced a Disaster Financial Assistance will help both individual Manitobans and communities that have been impacted by the flood. The program will provide financial assistance for certain disaster-related losses, such as uninsurable losses to basic and essential property.
Winnipeg Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Six police officers are in hospital with gunshot wounds and two suspects have been killed following a shooting at a bank in Saanich, B.C., on Tuesday.
Witnesses recount what they saw after police officers engaged in a shooting with armed suspects at a bank in Saanich, B.C., on Tuesday morning. Two suspects are dead and six officers are in hospital with gunshot wounds.
After five years in the role, John Horgan announced on Tuesday afternoon he plans to step down as premier of British Columbia and has asked his governing party, the NDP, to hold a leadership convention later this year.
A Nexus card is supposed to help put low-risk Canadians on the fast track when crossing the U.S. border, but at least 330,000 Canadians aren’t sure when their applications will be processed.
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy accused Russia on Tuesday of becoming 'a terrorist' state carrying out 'daily terrorist acts' and urged Russia's expulsion from the United Nations.
Donald Trump rebuffed his own security's warnings about armed protesters in the Jan. 6 rally crowd and made desperate attempts to join his supporters as they marched to the Capitol, according to dramatic new testimony Tuesday before the House committee investigating the 2021 insurrection.
Airbnb has codified a global policy that prohibits guests from hosting parties or events on all listed properties.
The mastermind of an elaborate Ponzi scheme that cheated hundreds of people of tens of millions of dollars was sentenced Tuesday in a Barrie, Ont., courtroom. Charles Debono has been behind bars since his arrest in 2020 for his role in one of the largest Ponzi schemes in Canadian history.
A scathing letter from an RCMP communications manager released Tuesday says RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki referred to direct pressure from the federal public safety minister to release firearm details in the days after the Nova Scotia mass shooting.
The Government of Saskatchewan is gearing up for a joint COVID-19 booster and influenza vaccination program in the fall.
A new $60 million YWCA Centre for Women and Families was announced in Regina on Tuesday.
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are dealing with familiar territory after the loss of Shaq Evans due to injury.
Saskatoon police say an investigation is ongoing, amidst a large police presence on Avenue J South between 21st and 22nd street west.
One of the longest-running measures of the pandemic was lifted during Monday's city council meeting.
Prairie Spirt School Division says it will struggle to cover inflationary costs such as gas in the coming school year.
On Tuesday, the federal government announced $2.6 million for improvements to taxiways, a runway and lighting at Sudbury's airport.
Five projects in North Bay are receiving money from the federal government through the New Horizons for Seniors Program.
A $2 million operation designed to help startup businesses in Sudbury has opened its doors. It’s being described as a hub for innovation, creative thinking and collaboration.
Parents of 2012 HUB Mall murder victim fear Supreme Court decision could lead to shorter sentence for son's killer
The Supreme Court of Canada struck down a law passed by the former Stephen Harper Conservatives that allows a judge to increase parole ineligibility periods for offenders who commit multiple murders. Now there’s fear it could mean sentence “discounts” for other mass murderers.
Edmonton is moving forward with a plan to improve snow and ice clearing on roads and sidewalks, but it could cost homeowners an extra three per cent in taxes over three years.
One person is dead after a crash north of Redwater on Tuesday.
A mother of three children is speaking out after spending a night on the floor of Toronto Pearson Airport with her young kids and six-month-old baby in a weekend of travel that she says cost her most than $1,000 in unexpected expenses.
A longtime Toronto legislator has been named interim leader of Ontario's New Democrats as the Official Opposition party gears up for a leadership contest.
What was supposed to be a fun weekend trip with friends to Arizona has turned into a nightmarish five-day, “suitcase scavenger hunt” for Toronto resident Jehaanara Kurji.
Alberta Finance Minister Jason Nixon says the final number on the 2021-22 fiscal year, which ended on March 31, is a $3.9-billion surplus.
'Appreciation and gratitude': Toronto couple thank Calgary fire crew for treating and transporting daughter to hospital
A Toronto couple expressed appreciation and gratitude for the fire fighters who treated and transported their three-year-old daughter to Children's hospital over the weekend.
The Calgary Airport Authority and its partners are preparing for the busiest summer travel season since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A coroner's report released Tuesday is calling on Quebec to teach new drivers to open their car doors with their right hand in order to prevent dooring incidents with cyclists.
A 26-year-old man has been ordered to undergo a mental health assessment after prosecutors allege he fatally stabbed his stepfather and seriously wounded three others this weekend. The victim was lawyer Raymond Hebert.
A multi-vehicle collision near Joliette has killed one person and sent several others to hospital, police say.
Ontario's police watchdog is investigating after Ottawa police officers shot and killed a man and injured a woman while responding to the stabbing deaths of two women.
Former OC Transpo general manager John Manconi faced intense questioning as he testified at a public hearing in the Ottawa Light Rail Transit Commission.
A jury at a coroner's inquest into the deaths of three women murdered by their former partner is recommending that Ontario formally declare intimate partner violence an epidemic and establish an independent commission dedicated to eradicating it.
A scathing letter from an RCMP communications manager released today says RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki referred to direct pressure from the federal public safety minister to release firearm details in the days after the Nova Scotia mass shooting.
Several workers are injured after part of a building under construction collapsed in Moncton, N.B., Tuesday morning.
The body of an 82-year-old woman who was reported missing from Sainte-Anne-de-Kent, N.B., has been found, according to RCMP in New Brunswick.
The family of a Black four-year-old who was removed from school by police has filed a lawsuit against the Waterloo Catholic District School Board seeking $1 million in damages for what they says is the board's discrimination and negligence.
Every morning, when Karli Chomick would drop her children Savanna and Ryder off at St. Timothy Catholic Elementary School in Kitchener, she would do the same thing: give them a hug and a kiss, then tell them to be kind.
Ira Needles Boulevard is closed between Highway 7/8 and Highview Drive.
The premier of British Columbia has announced plans to step down, but will remain on the job until the provincial NDP can choose his successor.
A vigil was held on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside Tuesday for Noelle O'Soup, an Indigenous girl whose body was found there a year after she went missing.
Janette and Michael Chapman died during the fire that devastated Lytton last year. Their grieving son is still looking for answers.
"Officers initially detained the driver for impaired driving by alcohol, however their focus quickly diverted after noting that he was literally holding in his hands two bricks of suspected cocaine," said Nanaimo RCMP in a release Tuesday.