Skip to main content

Custodial staff reach tentative deal with Manitoba school division for new contract

Children raise their hand in a classroom. (Narongchai Hlawprasert/Adobe Stock Photo/CNN) Children raise their hand in a classroom. (Narongchai Hlawprasert/Adobe Stock Photo/CNN)
Share

A tentative deal has been reached between Seine River School Division and its custodial staff members who took strike action two weeks ago.

On Monday, the Manitoba Government and General Employees’ Union (MGEU) announced that there is a tentative agreement, adding that the bargaining committee is recommending acceptance of this offer.

The union said it is not providing the details of the agreement until its members have voted on it. The result of the vote will be made available on Tuesday evening.

CTV News Winnipeg previously reported that 47 custodial staff members took strike action on Feb. 12 after working with an expired contract since July 2021. The workers were looking for wage increases that would help them keep up with the cost of the living.

Seine River School Division said it does not have a comment at this time.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

'Rust' armourer gets 18 months in prison for fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin on set

A movie weapons supervisor was sentenced to 18 months in prison in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer by Alec Baldwin on the set of the Western film "Rust," during a hearing Monday in which tearful family members and friends gave testimonials that included calls for justice and a punishment that would instill greater accountability for safety on film sets.

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

A look inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive

The National Capital Commission is providing a glimpse inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive, more than a year after the heritage building along the Ottawa River was closed.

Stay Connected