Police advise holiday shoppers to guard against gift thefts
Published Friday, December 14, 2012 2:55PM CST
Last Updated Friday, December 14, 2012 6:53PM CST
Winnipeg police said thefts from motor vehicles are a concern in December with many people out shopping for the holidays.
Police said gifts “can make a tempting target for thieves.”
People should make sure to keep purchases out of sight and secure them in an area not visible from outside the vehicle, such as inside a trunk.
Personal electronics and GPS devices left in plain view are items commonly stolen from vehicles, said police.
Police advised people to:
- Park in well-lit areas and lock your vehicle at all times
- Do not leave GPS devices attached to windshields or dashboards
- Do not leave lap tops or other valuables inside your vehicle
- When shopping, do not leave packages inside your car instead;
- place them in the trunk or out of sight
Anyone spotting suspicious activity in parking lots should contact community police immediately.