Police take one suspect into custody in Rapid City standoff
Published Friday, February 22, 2013 7:26AM CST
Last Updated Friday, February 22, 2013 5:57PM CST
Several homes were evacuated in Rapid City in southwestern Manitoba while RCMP were on scene for a standoff Thursday night and into Friday morning.
A nearby school was also closed due to the potential threat of firearms, said police. The school was used as a command post by RCMP.
The victim left the residence and was taken to hospital, where she was treated and released.
Leona Howard said police had a home surrounded, and weren’t letting anyone near it. “They were at this corner and this corner directing traffic and no one was allowed to go this way,” she said.
“Every corner was blocked off…this gentleman wasn't going anywhere,”said Rapid City mayor Orest Woloski.
RCMP said the standoff ended peacefully later Friday morning.
Officers were first called around 10 p.m. on Feb. 21, Thursday night. RCMP said they received a report a female had been assaulted, and a distraught man was inside a home with firearms potentially in the residence.
Bill Birkenshaw lives across the street and said the couple were loners who kept to themselves. “I wouldn't know them to see them. Lived here all my life too,” he said.
A 34-year-old man was arrested without incident around 10:30 a.m. on Feb. 22, said RCMP. He faces a charge for assault causing bodily harm. Police said they're continuing to investigate potential firearms-related offences.
Officers remained on scene Friday.
- with a story by CTV’s Caroline Barghout
Multiple RCMP officers were on scene and a command post set up in Rapid City on Feb. 22, 2013.