An 18-year-old man burned in a Gimli house fire on Jan. 1 underwent emergency surgery Thursday for skin grafts.

Jordan Welch suffered burns to more than half his body from the New Year's Day fire.

His vital signs were good Thursday and the surgery was carried out because doctors were concerned about burns on his back becoming infected, said Ian Tarnowski, a family spokesperson.

Family said Jordan went back into the burning home to save his 12-year-old sister Jayda. He didn’t know she was already safely out.

Jordan’s father Greg has a broken neck but is improving and is in stable condition following the blaze on Autumnwood Drive in Gimli, said Tarnowski, Greg’s brother-in-law.

It’s believed Jordan will remain in a medically-induced coma for one to two weeks.