Escorted outdoor walks for Vince Li expected to take effect before end of year
Published Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:42AM CST
Escorted walks for Vince Li are expected to begin in November or December, said officials.
The province said it is continuing to implement a security plan for Li.
He was found not criminally responsible for beheading Tim McLean on a Greyhound bus in 2008. Li has been housed inside the Selkirk Mental Health Centre since a court ruling last year.
In June, the criminal review board agreed with a recommendation from psychiatrists that Li be granted escorted walks outdoors on the grounds of the centre.
Additional security officers have been hired and trained, but there has been a delay in ordering them security gear, which has delayed allowing Li the escorted walks, said officials.